Sea lettuce can be eaten raw or cooked as a vegetable, or as a seasoning. Its light taste and finesse allow it to be used in many savoury or sweet dishes. It is renowned for its magnesium content.
Available in ORGANIC
- Sea vegetable
Ulva sp. commonly known as sea lettuce, is a green alga of the Ulvaceae family that can grow up to 30 cm in length. This alga is true to its nickname sea lettuce with its wide and wrinkled blade (equivalent to a leaf for terrestrial plants) which varies in color from pure green to very pale green depending on the species.
Despite their soft texture and extreme thinness, Sea lettuce have a high content of elastic fibres which make them highly resistant to tearing.
Sea lettuce is harvested by hand in spring and autumn in Bretagne. In order to conserve the natural resource, it is cut at 2 cm from its base so that it may grow back faster.
Like wakame, sea spaghetti, nori and dulse, sea lettuce is one of the easiest algae to cook.
– Colour: green meadow more or less dark
– Texture: supple and chewy when raw, melting after cooking
– Taste: not very intense, taste similar to sorrel with a fresh iodine note
DOSAGE: 5 to 8 g / day
Sea lettuce can be used :
• Raw to accompany salads, pasta, fish, and even in smoothies.
• Cooked, it develops a flavour similar to that of spinach (it can replace parsley).
• As an ingredient: its light taste and finesse allow it to be used in many savoury preparations (fresh cxheeses, spreads, purées, quiches, etc.), but also in sweet dishes (smoothies, biscuits) for its iodine note which brings freshness.
Choosing Nuwen is:
Resource traceability & encourage the local
Protection of our environment
Innovative solutions to enhance natural materials
Controlled production and maximum quality
Packaging adapted to your sales channels